The aim of EII is:
“To contribute to the sustainability of living resources and ecosystems through research, and the development, implementation, education and promotion of analytical tools and ecological modeling, with special emphasis on the use of modeling approach Ecopath with Ecosim (EwE), in a joint effort with several research institutions, both in technology and education, and in coordination with the International initiative “Ecopath research and Development Consortium”.
To achieve its aim, the association undertakes the following activities:
- Execution of ground-breaking ecological research to further the field of ecological modelling;
- Promotion of the ecological modeling approach “Ecopath with Ecosim” (EwE) by publishing scientific papers, participation in conferences and working groups, outreach, and other activities;
- Contribution to EwE maintenance and development program as well as the website and their support structures;
- Contribute scientific and technical support to users of the EwE approach;
- Participation in the development of a new generation of modeling cooperative approaches where the EwE ecological model will be coupled to other models, such as climatological, hydrodynamic, and socio-economic models;
- Participation in public and private calls for research to develop scientific projects using the EwE approach;
- Development and promotion of an educational curriculum to teach, apply an develop the EwE approach;
- Organization, promotion and participation in EwE congresses;
- Organization of training courses for teaching EwE;
- Organization of the EwE paid user support system;
- Maintenance of a sufficient number of specialized personnel to perform the activities outlined above;
- Development and implementation of an economic model to maintain and promote the activities outlined above;
- Development of other nonprofit activities decided by the Genera Assembly and the EII Board;
- Coordination of the activities outline above in collaboration with the International “Ecopath Research and Development Consortium” initiative.
EII is a not-for-profit association.